Posted: 6:35 am Tuesday, November 7th, 2017
I’ve been lucky enough to be a part of the country music industry for over five years now, and every year, we get the opportunity to vote for who we think deserve the win in each category. Anyone who is an official member of the CMA had the chance to vote.
Interestingly enough – Jason Aldean and Blake Shelton got snubbed this year without any nominations.
Now, I may come at it from a different perspective, as I’ve been fortunate to see many, if not all, of the nominees live, or I’ve gotten a backstory to one of the nominations that could sway my vote from what may be the fan-favorite. With that said, here’s who I think is taking it home Wednesday night at the CMA’s:
Entertainer of the Year
- My prediction: Garth Brooks (Yes, he’s won numerous times, and some say “he’s had his day” – but I beg to differ – he’s still selling the most concert tickets and putting on multiple shows a week – and if you’ve seen one of his live shows, you know why).
- Other nominees in the category: Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Chris Stapleton, Keith Urban
Album of the Year
- My prediction: The Weight of These Wings by Miranda Lambert (Miranda released two-discs with this album – which included her long-awaited record, “Vice” after the divorce and this seemed to be a record she didn’t worry about what anyone else wanted her to do, more of the songs she wanted to release)
- Other nominees in the category: From a Room: Volume 1 by Chris Stapleton; Heart Break by Lady Antebellum; The Nashville Sound by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit; The Breaker by Little Big Town.
Single of the Year
- My prediction: Sam Hunt’s “Body Like a Back Road” or “Blue Ain’t Your Color” by Keith Urban” (As far as “singles” go – Sam Hunt’s ‘Body Like a Back Road’ set and broke records in the country format and sales that are still on fire)
- Other nominees in the category: “Dirt On My Boots” by Jon Pardi; “Tin Man” by Miranda Lambert; Little Big Town’s “Better Man”
Male Vocalist of the Year
- My prediction: Keith Urban
- Other nominees in the category: Chris Stapleton, Eric Church, Thomas Rhett, Dierks Bentley
Female Vocalist of the Year
- My prediction: Carrie Underwood
- Other nominees in the category: Reba McEntire, Maren Morris, Miranda Lambert, Kelsea Ballerini (although I think Lauren Alaina got robbed on not being in this category as well)
Vocal Group of the Year
- My prediction: Little Big Town (You just can’t beat their harmonies and they worked closely with so many other country artists this year)
- Other nominees in the category: Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Old Dominion, Zac Brown Band
Vocal Duo of the Year
- My prediction: Florida Georgia Line (They had such a big year – from the tours & stadium shows, to the collaborations – these two have been untouchable as far as ticket sales, song sales, etc. as far as country duos go)
- Other nominees in the category: Maddie & Tae, Dan + Shay, Brothers Osborne, LOCASH
New Artist of the Year
- My prediction: Luke Combs (I almost feel this is an unfair category – as the other nominees in my opinion are a tad more established than Luke Combs in 2017 – I think he will take it – his true nitty-gritty country sound swept country fans this year with ‘Hurricane’ and even his latest hit that just went #1 ‘When It Rains It Pours’ – I think his sound is what country fans were missing.)
- Other nominees in the category: Lauren Alaina, Jon Pardi, Brett Young, Old Dominion
<br/><a href=”http://abcnews.go.com/”>ABC Breaking News</a> | <a href=”http://abcnews.go.com/Video”>Latest News Videos</a>